Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Somebody likes me up there...

Well let's just start by saying THANK YOU GOD!

From my last post until now, 10000000000 things have happened. All have been better than I could've imagined (and believe me, I was imagining some pretty shitty stuff).

My Hepatologist thought my numbers were really high, but that they were directly related to the pregnancy, so he has put me on Lamivudine. It's a Hep B medication that is COMPLETELY safe in pregnancy. The reason for taking the medication to lower my levels so that it's less likely for him to contract the disease from me. I was told that even if I only take it for a week, it could make a huge difference. YAHOO!

Next, I was also told that the medicine would cost me a fortune...which I don't have. Luckily I have family that can support such an expense.....BUT when I spoke with the pharmacist today I was told it would only cost me $40!! And not hundreds or thousands!! YAHOO!!!

Next, I was told by my ob, that Liam would require a little extra surveillance after he was born.....I didn't know what this meant..watching his heart rate? His breathing? I had no idea. When I asked my ob, he said his electrolytes. YAHOO!! That's better than what I was thinking!

For myself, I have to take the medication until I see my hepatologist in February. I also have to get my bloodwork done every month instead of every 6 months. However, he does think this is directly pregnancy related and that after I have him, my levels should go back to around where they were (which was low 1000's and my liver enzymes were at a normal level). I'm hoping that this is true. But if not, I just hope that Liam doesn't get it and he will be Hep B free like Sydni.

I do know that I can't breast-feed while on the medicine because of how it changes through breast-feeding. Hard to explain, but if that's the case then that's what it'll be. I'd rather him be happy and safe and be formula fed, then sick with potentially toxic breast milk.

Whew. So to sum it up...
- I start taking Lamivudine.
- The medicine lowers my viral load which at the same time will lower my enzyme levels
- My load and levels are lessened, which lowers his chances of getting it.
- It's not going to cost me an arm and a leg.
- I get more frequent check ups to see if my levels are lowering with medicine after I deliver him.
- I can't breast-feed, but that's okay.

I couldn't feel better about the situation. I was so overwhelmed, especially since my whole pregnancy has been a roller coaster, and I'm so glad that this is working out in a way that should be beneficial for the both of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment